Musical Theatre Performance Studio
JUNE 24 – JULY 22, 2018
Europe’s premiere Young Artist Program offering comprehensive training and exceptional performance opportunities
Cabaret by John Kander & Fred Ebb
Evita by Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice
Leonard Bernstein Centennial Gala
The Musical Theatre Performance Studio is a four-week professional-level training program for college students as well as advanced high school juniors and seniors. This immersive program offers musical theatre students the unique opportunity to:
- Study under the guidance of Broadway professionals and noted academics. The intense yet supportive atmosphere, along with daily instruction, creates an environment that encourages growth and takes your skills to the next level.
- Perform in galas, concerts and fully-staged musical theatre productions before a European audience.
- Create lasting memories through travel to one of the most stunning corners of the world. You’ll gain new perspective by spending four weeks in a different and vibrant culture, all the while making new friends and professional connections.
Music Academy International has an outstanding reputation as one of the premiere young artist training programs in the world today. Our faculty artists are all currently faculty at top musical theatre programs who also have extensive Broadway, national tour, and regional theatre experience. As educators, they bring passion to the training process and are committed to helping each student cultivate their unique strengths and develop performance skills. Beyond ample performance opportunities, students receive individual coachings and can participate in master classes, seminars and forums that address both artistic and business strategies for building a life in the industry.
- World Class Faculty Artists
- Performances with Orchestra
- Broadway Gala Performances
- Daily Acting/Characterization Classes
- Vocal Coaching & Voice Lessons
- Effective Audition Technique Workshops
- Daily Movement/Dance Classes
- Musical & Staging Rehearsals
- Song Interpretation and Repertoire
- Classic Standards & Bold New Works
- The Business of Broadway
- Professional Quality Audition Videos
Attractions and Sightseeing – Based in the spectacular setting of Italy’s Primiero Valley, the program offers the unique opportunity to learn, explore and perform in some of the most beautiful villages in Italy. A full schedule of cultural and recreational opportunities – from concert-going in Verona to canyoning in the Dolomites – provide lifelong memories. Your own time on stage will be equally meaningful, as MAI performances are held in a range of unique and historic venues.
- Excursions Highlights Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBxcq5e2qx4
- Nearby Cities Include: Venice, Salzburg, Verona, Innsbruck, Munich.
- Hiking and Biking in the Dolomites.
- Cable car trip to Refugio di Tognola for breathtaking views and a delicious meal.
- Cable car trip to Rifugio Rosetta located on one of the highest peaks in the Dolomites.
- Hiking trip to visit a cheese-making farm.
- Giuseppe Verdi’s Aida in the Arena di Verona; 300 singers, actors, live camels! A musical extravaganza!
- Shopping in San Martino di Castrozza, the oldest skiing resort in the Alpine region.
- Water Canyoning in Val Noana with renowned Alpine guides.
Professional Quality Audition Videos – Young Artists have the unique opportunity to record a professional quality video for use with auditions while at MAI. These individual sessions take place July 9 – 13 and include a high definition video of two selections. MAI provides the accompanist and the recording studio and will provide each Young Artist with a video link that can be uploaded. The fee for the recording session is $150.
Costs – MAI is truly a great value and an investment in your future. While other programs charge thousands of dollars to sing a concert or a scenes program with piano accompaniment, at MAI our young artists are presented in musical theatre productions with full orchestra led by leading conductors, directors, vocal coaches, and master teachers?
Tuition & Fees – 2018 Musical Theatre Performance Studio tuition is $2,995. A registration fee of $250 is payable upon acceptance.
Housing – MAI provides free housing in shared apartments for all participants of the Musical Theatre Performance Studio.
Transportation – MAI provides round trip private bus transportation from Venice’s Marco Polo Airport (VCE) on June 24 at 4:00 pm to Fiera di Primiero, and returning from Fiera di Primiero to VCE on July 22 at 7:00 am. The ride is approximately 90 minutes in length and the total cost is €40. Details are provided in your acceptance package.
Audition Process – MAI accepts applicants by video auditions or through the StrawHat and NETC Theatre Auditions: Interested participants should fill out the online application and attach two musical selections (minimum 32 bars each) as well as a dance tape (dancers) or a monologue (singers/actors) by clicking the APPLY NOW button below. Singers should present on golden age and one contemporary musical theatre selection.
StrawHat Auditions, NETC Theatre Auditions – MAI will take part in the StrawHat Auditions in New York held at PACE University, which will be on March 16, 17, & 18. We will also take part in the NETC Theatre Auditions held in Natick, MA at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Boston-Natick on March 17, 18 & 19. Artists that are taking part in these auditions should look for the MAI listing at both venues and fill out the audition form at the bottom of this page by clicking Apply Now.
Audition Deadline – Music Academy International accepts applications through April 1, 2018. MAI has a rolling audition process with limited enrollment. Early applications are suggested for best results.
Click the button below to submit an application for the Musical Theatre Performance Studio.