Opera Performance Studio
July 9 – August 12, 2017
Music Academy International is Europe’s premiere Young Artist Training & Performance Program offering comprehensive training and exceptional performance opportunities.
Four operas will be presented from the following list after all auditions are completed
Cendrillon by Jules Massenet
Suor Angelica by Giacomo Puccini
Rinaldo by George Frideric Handel
The Turn Of The Screw by Benjamin Britten
Don Giovanni by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
ALL OPERAS PERFORMED WITH THE MUSIC ACADEMY INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL ORCHESTRA
Apply today using the YAP TRACKER Application at this link:
2017 Faculty Members
The core to any successful young artist program lies is the quality of it’s faculty artists.
- Conductors & Vocal Coaches
- J. David Jackson – Metropolitan Opera, Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie
- Christopher Larkin – Washington National Opera, Santa Fe Opera, Houston Grand Opera
- Neal Goren – Gotham Chamber Opera, New York City Opera, Spoleto Festival USA
- Paul Plummer – Landestheater Innsbruck, Oper Kiel, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Peter Nilsson – Dutch National Opera
- Jane Robinson – English National Opera
- Jonathan Kelly – Metropolitan Opera, Music Academy of the West
- Lachlan Glen – Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
- Tim Ribchester – Academy of Vocal Arts, Opera Company Philadelphia
- Stage Directors
- David Gately – Washington National Opera, Dallas Opera
- Robin Blauers – The Hartt School, Connecticut Opera
- Barbara Wojtczak – Royal Opera House Coven Garden, Staatsoper Hamburg
- Master Teachers
- Jeanne-Michèle Charbonnet, Classical Voice – Paris Opera, Deutsche Oper Berlin, Metropolitan Opera
- Mitchell Piper, Professional Music Managment – Piper Anselmi Artists Management
- Neil Rosenshein, Classical Voice – Metropolitan Opera, Teatro alla Scala, Manhattan School of Music
- David Blackburn, Classical Voice – NYIOP, IMG Artists
- Valentina Farcas, Classical Voice – Salzburg Festival, Semperoper Dresden, Teatro San Carlo
- Jason Debord, Crossover – Noted Broadway Conductor, University of Michigan
- Marishka Wierzbicki, Crossover – Liz Caplan Vocal Studios, Associate
The Opera Performance Studio has gained an internationally renowned reputation as one of the premiere young artist training programs in the world. In 2016 our young artists were from the United States, Mexico, Brazil, Scotland, Ireland, England, France, Germany, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Poland, Russia, Scandinavia, Korea, China, Singapore, Israel, and Japan. Former participants have been accepted into Young Artist Programs with the Houston Grand Opera, Lyric Opera of Chicago, Santa Fe Opera, English National Opera, Merola Opera Program, and the opera studios in Berlin, Munich, and Zurich, and such noted conservatories as the Academy of Vocal Arts, The Juilliard School, Curtis Institute of Music, and major music schools throughout the United States and Europe. They have performed with leading regional and international opera companies including the Metropolitan Opera, Lyric Opera of Chicago, San Francisco Opera, Washington National Opera, La Scala, Paris Opera, Berlin Staatsoper, Los Angeles Opera, Köln, Teatro di San Carlo, Valencia, Teatro Real Madrid, and leading performance centers including Carnegie Hall in New York, and Royal Albert Hall in London.
The Opera Performance Studio is distinguished from many other young artist programs by the variety and quality of opportunities it provides its participants. Young Artists are given the opportunity to perform leading roles in our main stage productions and to work with world-class directors, and conductors. The focus of the studio is on professional development and ‘training through performance’.
- Vocal Coaching
- Staged Opera With Orchestra
- Advanced Character Development
- Language Classes
- Diction Classes
- Aria Coaching & Dramatic Preparation
- Master Classes
- Gala Performances
- Audition Preparation
- Artist Management Consultations
ROLE PERFORMANCE: As a member of the Opera Performance Studio you will be assigned a role to sing in a staged performance with the MAI Festival Orchestra. You may also be asked to cover additional roles.
VOCAL COACHING – VOICE LESSONS – DRAMATIC PREPARATION: Young artist will be provided vocal coaching and voice lessons to prepare audition arias with the MAI faculty artists during their residency. This is a great opportunity to add new arias to your audition package, or to polish arias that are already in your repertoire. The opportunity to artistically and dramatically prepare your audition repertoire with such world-renowned professionals is invaluable to young artists.
Master Classes - Master Classes are an integral part of your training at MAI and cover a wide variety of specialties including; vocal technique, performance repertoire, auditioning, operatic style, dramatic interpretation, language, and the business aspects of managing a professional career. The classes are taught by our resident faculty artists, and visiting guest artists. Visiting artists have included renowned sopranos Deborah Voigt, Renata Scotto, Jeanne-Michèle Charbonnet, Metropolitan Opera tenor Neil Rosenshein, and renowned artist manager Mitchell Piper.
Young Artist Testimony - “Ooookay, emotional Facebook post here we go! The last month in the beautiful village of Mezzano with my wonderful colleagues and mentors at MAI has been greater than I could have ever imagined. From the friends gained to the work done to the beautiful landscape in which it all took place, I have experienced more beauty than I could ever put in to words.” ….. Sarah (2016 Young Artist)
Applications: All opera applications are accepted through YAP TRACKER at the link available below. An application fee of $25 is payable when you submit your application. Accompanists are provided free of charge for all live auditions.
Auditions - Live and Video auditions are accepted through YAP Tracker until April 1, 2017, or until all Young Artists positions have been filled. Early applications are encouraged. Applicants submitting a video audition should upload a YouTube link to your YAP Tracker application. Your video should be private and unlocked for our viewing. Video auditions should include two arias of varying styles that demonstrate your technical and artistic ability. If you are only interested in a specific roles it is best to make this known during the application process.
Tuition (including housing, meals (breakfast & lunch daily), registration fee, and bus transport from Venice): Tuition for the 2017 Opera Performance Studio is $4,695. Compared to other leading programs, MAI is similarly priced by offers so much more. Why pay thousands of dollars to sing on a concert or a scenes program with piano accompaniment when you can be presented with orchestra in full operatic productions led by leading conductors, directors, vocal coaches, and master teachers? MAI is the clear choice for singers that wish to invest in their future.
Housing/Meals: At Music Academy International your tuition includes housing at the BOUTIQUE HOTEL ORSINGHER in Fiera di Primiero. This 4 STAR hotel & spa is uniquely situated a short walk from the rehearsal facilities and the performance center. Run by Sara and Guila Basso along with the chefs Matteo ‘Bruno’ Guglielmo, and Francesco Forlini, the hotel includes a Lotus Spa & Wellness Center, the Orsingher Bar & Lounge, the Altus Restaurant, a workout room, yoga studio, and second floor terrace. A complementary European style breakfast and lunch are provided at the hotel on a daily basis for all participants in the MAI Opera Performance Studio. High quality housing of this standard is rarely provided by a YAP and MAI is thrilled to partner with our friends at the Orsingher to provide our young artists with a luxury living experience for the duration of the festival.
Travel: MAI provides a free shuttle bus that will run from Marco Polo Airport (VCE) directly to the Boutique Hotel Orsingher in Fiera di Primiero on Sunday July 9 departing VCE at 4:30 pm. A return shuttle will be provided on Saturday August 12 departing Mezzano/Fiera for VCE at 7 am. We encourage everyone that wishes to take the shuttle to plan their arrival and departure flights accordingly. For those that are arriving from other locations, MAI will provide a travel fact sheet to assist you with the logistics of arriving at the Boutique Hotel Orsingher on July 9 for an afternoon check in.
Scholarships: Partial scholarships are available and are provided based upon financial need of the applicant and the artistic needs of Music Academy International. Young Artists should submit in writing a request for financial assistance by March 1, 2017.
Acceptance Into The 2017 Festival - All applicants will be notified within 10 days following their live or video audition regarding acceptance into the 2017 festival. MAI has a running acceptance policy and encourages early applications.
- 2015 Excursion highlights video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBxcq5e2qx4
- Nearby Cities Include: Venice, Salzburg, Verona, Innsbruck, Munich.
- Hiking and Biking in the Dolomites.
- Cable car trip to Refugio di Tognola for breathtaking views and a delicious meal.
- Cable car trip to Rifugio Rosetta located on one of the highest peaks in the Dolomites.
- Hiking trip to visit a cheese-making farm.
- Giuseppe Verdi’s Aida in the Arena di Verona; 300 singers, actors, live camels! A musical extravaganza!
- Shopping in San Martino di Castrozza, the oldest skiing resort in the Alpine region.
- Water Canyoning in Val Noana with renowned Alpine guides.
Click the following link to submit your application through YAP TRACKER: