Asian Performance Studio
July 8 – July 28, 2018
- Mitchell Piper, Executive Director Music Academy International
- Neil Rosenshein, Artistic Director Asian Performance Studio
- Yingge Liu, Associate Artistic Director Asian Performance Studio
- Jinho Hwang, Associate Artistic Director Asian Performance Studio
- Zhen Zhang, Associate Director of Curriculum Asian Performance Studio
The Asian Performance Studio is designed to prepare Asian singers for successful auditions with leading music schools and conservatories in the United States and Europe, as well as auditions with professional opera companies and artist management firms. Successful auditions are the key to any young singer’s career and at MAI you will receive extensive training in vocal technique, dramatic interpretation, English and Italian language, and stage presentation. Our internationally acclaimed faculty artists will work with you to in selecting repertoire, preparing bios, head shots, and other materials that are needed for the rigorous auditions that the world’s leading music schools, conservatories, management firms, and professional opera companies require.
Training & Performances Include
- Voice Lessons
- Vocal Coaching
- Master Classes
- Intensive English Instruction
- IPA Classes
- Dramatic Interpretation
- Recitals & Concerts
- Career Seminars
- Audition Preparation
Typical Daily Schedule
- 8:30 – Breakfast at your hotel
- 9:30 – 11:30 Language Study
- TOEFL English Classes
- Conversational Italian
- IPA Classes
- 11:30 – 1:00 – Master Classes
- 2:30 – 6:30 – Voice Lessons, Vocal Coaching, Audition Workshops, Master Classes
- Evening Concerts, Reciatals, and Gala Performances
Video Recording Sessions – Quality recordings are an essential requirement for most music schools and conservatories in order to complete the application process. In this session you will sing your audition selections with one of our professional accompanists and will be presented with a professional quality video that you can then use to complete your college applications.
Faculty Artists – Connections and networking are essential elements of a successful career in the performing arts. At MAI, young artists work daily with some of the leading faculty and guest artists in the profession today. Our faculty artists teach at leading music schools and conservatories including the Manhattan School of Music, the Juilliard School, New York University, Academy of Vocal Arts, Curtis Institute of Music, the Dutch Opera Academy, and perform at such internationally acclaimed opera houses as the Metropolitan Opera, Royal Opera Covent Garden, Opéra National de Paris, Berlin Staatsoper, and other leading houses.
Master Teachers Include:
• J. David Jackson, Metropolitan Opera
• David Gately,Washington National Opera
• Peter Nilsson, Dutch National Opera Academy
• Jane Robinson, English National Opera
• Lachlen Glen, Rutgers University
• Harolyn Blackwell, New York University, Metropolitan Opera
• Jeanne Michèle Charbonnet, Montclair State Univ., Metropolitan Opera
• Neal Goren, Mannes School of Music
- Nearby Cities Include: Venice, Salzburg, Verona, Innsbruck.
- Hiking and Biking in the Dolomites.
- Cable car trip to Refugio di Tognola for breathtaking views.
- Cable car trip to Rifugio Rosetta located on one of the highest peaks in the Dolomites.
- Hiking trip to visit a cheese-making farm.
- Giuseppe Verdi’s Aida in the Arena di Verona; 300 singers, actors, live camels! A musical extravaganza!
- San Martino di Castrozza, the oldest skiing resort in the Alpine region.
- Water Canyoning in Val Noana with renowned Alpine guides.
Applications – To apply simply click on the Apply Now button at the bottom of this page and fill out the application form. MAI does not charge an audition or application fee.
Tuition & Fees – 2018 Chinese Audition & Performance Studio tuition is $3,995. A registration fee of $250 is payable at the time of acceptance. Tuition and fees are due in full no later than April 15, 2018.
Housing – At Music Academy International your housing is provided free of charge for the duration of your stay. Accommodations are provided in area hotels in double occupancy rooms. The hotels are all within walking distance of the rehearsal facilities and include full services.
Meals – Daily breakfast is included with your tuition and is served at your hotel. Lunch and dinner are available at the many restaurants in Primiero. Festival participants are provided with an ID that allows them discounts at many area stores and restaurants.
Transportation – MAI provides round trip private bus transportation from Venice’s Marco Polo Airport (VCE) on July 8 at 4:00 pm to Fiera di Primiero, and returning from Fiera di Primiero to VCE on July 28 at 7:00 am.
Deadline – The deadline for applications to be received is April 1, 2018.
Click the button below to submit an application for the Chinese Studio.