Music Academy International
Europe’s Premiere Young Artist Program
Why you should choose Music Academy International – Young Artists have a wide variety of programs available to them each summer. When exploring the many possibilities it is important to look at the artistic accomplishments of the faculty, the performance opportunities provided, the level of training that you will take part in on a daily basis, the area that the program is located, and the financial costs involved. MAI takes great pride in providing an outstanding internationally recognized faculty and the highest level of training and performance experience possible for our Young Artists. And, it takes place in one of the most gorgeous regions in all of Europe!
- From my audition to the day I left, MAI was an overwhelming, eye-opening, validating, challenging, transformative experience. I am a very different artist because of these 5 weeks. The learning curve was steep, the days long and hard, the payoff immense. A lot of people, first among them Mitch Piper and Robin Blauers took a chance on a green singer with a lot to figure out, saw something worth cultivating, and didn’t let up the pressure until I was able to realize some of that they had seen. I’m grateful for their faith, their exhaustively high standard, their guidance, and their patience. The biggest hats off go to David Jackson, Jane Robinson, and Harolyn Blackwell. David for being the clearest conductor known to man and for his tremendous patience and clarity in guiding me through my first orchestrated principle role. Jane for her precise insight in all things musical, textual, and vocal, and Harolyn for working her magic and pulling more sound out of me than I thought this 22 year old larynx had. And of course to Patrizia Di Paolo, who staged a beautiful show and taught me more about physical acting than all of my previous roles put together……. Mary (Opera 2018)
I sent my parents a text when I entered Mezzano for the second time this year: “I’m home.” What a special place! After attending this festival for the first time during Summer 2017, something compelled me to return. The lovely towns of Imer, Mezzano, and Fiera di Primiero are warm and inviting, and the people who live there are as well. And while the caliber of the musical portion of the festival is extremely high, really Music Academy International is a full, immersive experience, Waking up in the morning and running along the river, with the towering Dolomiti as the background, seeing the same locals around the main square with my morning espresso, shopping at the same grocery store and knowing the name of the woman at the register, etc. Then, having the opportunity to work in chamber, orchestral, and operatic settings with so many talented musicians…this experience is integral to my development as a violinist and as a person.This was only a brief summary of why I returned to the Music Academy International, but to really know the extent of the magic of this festival, you will just have to venture to the Italian Dolomiti yourself! …….. Brittany (Orchestra 2017-2018)
- Thank you Mitch Piper for having the vision of putting such a great program together. Thank you for not only providing outstanding training, but also an unforgettable lifetime experience. Thank You!! Jeanne-Michele Charbonnet, Peter Nilsson, Tim Ribchester, Angie Bizimoska, thank you for not only teaching me how to become a better singer, but hot to make music by being real. Thank you for showing me right and wrong, but with love and patience. Thank you for reminding me that singing is not only about beautiful singing, it’s about being a beautiful human being capable of showing life through singing…. Susanna (Opera 2018)
- I could not say thank you enough for everything! MAI is like a family to me, I have gotten much more than what I expected. I accepted the best education, living in the beautiful place and meeting the best musicians and people from all over the world. It’s so hard to say goodbye. I know it’s a long way to be a great singer and human being, I don’t know what I could give back, I will keep trying, doing my best and never let you down! Thank you so much!!! ……. Jinge (Opera 2018)
- Now that I am back home, I have had the time to really reflect on my MAI experience this summer. I would be remiss if I did not personally thank each of you for the invaluable teaching, gentle words of encouragement, and genuine friendship. Kurt Robinson, I will continue to work on the tools you gave me to develop my mid voice. Marishka Wierzbicki, I appreciate you teaching me how to shift the resonance space as I go up in my range. Vince Degeorge, your coaching in distant touching and your body washing technique was transformative. Jason DeBord, your lessons on pronunciation, complex rhythms, and other vocal techniques really elevated my overall performance. Linda Goodrich, thank you for allowing me to practice my creativity within your ‘landmarks’ and for teaching me how to enjoy and live in the ‘unknown’. Last but not least, thank you, Mr. Piper, for creating a program where a young creative person like me can come and be immersed in professional training by artists who have been where we are striving to go. I am eternally grateful……. Leslie (Musical Theatre 2018)
- Just wanted to say how grateful I am to all the amazing people at Music Academy International for my wonderful experience. It’s still amazing to me how life delivers to us the things we need just when we need them. I will never forget the five weeks spent in Fiera di Primiero, the beautiful music we created there, and all the wonderful new friends I met. Than you so very much to Mitch Piper, Jeanne-Michele Charbonnet, Robin Blauers, Neal Goren, Caren Levine, David Gately, and Ophelia Wolf. Maestro Larkin and Peter Nilsson, thank you for your artistic expertise, and your support – you are amazing! ….. Samantha (Opera 2018)
- MAI thank you so much for the greatest time and experience of my life! I can’t describe how much it gave me! I wish you long years and the most talented students ever! Thank you to Maestro Neal Goren for your beleif in me. To Robin Blauers for such amazing staging and a production that made me feel winged! It was an amazing opportunity to be part of this show! Thank you Mozart, and of course thank you Mitch Piper for making all of this experience possible …… Lubov (Opera 2017)
- I learned so much from your incredible staff of coaches and directors, and I am very excited for the next chapter of my vocal development. Thank you also for your insights in the master classes, and your kind words of encouragement. I hope our paths will cross again soon!! ….. Brian (Opera 2017)
- Oooookay, emotional Facebook post here we go! The last month in the beautiful village of Mezzano with my wonderful colleagues and mentors at MAI has been greater than I could have ever imagined. From the friends gained to the work done to the beautiful landscape in which it all took place, I have experienced more beauty than I could ever put in to words. ….. Sarah (Opera 2016)
- I would like to thank you for providing a wonderful experience this summer. Working with distinguished faculty members, performing a role in Italy, and learning about the business side of opera was extremely helpful and enriching. …… Penelope (Opera 2016)
- I cannot begin to thank you enough for including me in this journey. It was truly the trip of a lifetime for me and while I am sad that it is over, I take with me all of the work, lessons and memories to help my artistic career flourish. I felt challenged, respected and inspired every step of the way. You, Marishka, and Jason were an absolute dream team and I could not have asked for a better experience. ….. Emily (Musical Theatre 2016)
- Thank you so much for such a wonderful experience! I’m so sad it’s already over.” ….. Kristi (Orchestra 2016).
- Thank you Mitch Piper and your entire team for a life changing experience. The faculty you have put together for MAI are truly outstanding. Maestro Jackson taught me so much about making music that went beyond notes and rhythms. The orchestra truly sang under his baton……. Jarrod (Orchestra 2016)
We care about the cost – We are keenly aware of the financial struggles facing young performers today and we work closely with our sponsors and donors to keep our tuition and fees at a minimum. Program fees differ by studio and are determined by the duration of the program and the costs associated with each studio. Compare our fees to other programs in the US and Europe and you will see that Music Academy International is extremely competitive.
The Dolomites, an UNESCO World Heritage Site – A location has to be extremely special to even think about appearing on the UNESCO World Heritage Site list. It has to present a unique, unspoiled natural landscape and be safeguarded by outstanding environmental laws. The Dolomites are one of the most imposing mountain landscapes on the planet. In terms of uniqueness, the Dolomites have outclassed any other place in the world for their beauty, the diversity in natural landscapes and their geological significance. The Dolomites, also known as the Pale Mountains, with their fine beauty are among the most beautiful mountains in the world. Everyone knows of the unusual splash of colours lighting up their peaks, and the contrast between the soft lines of the rolling hills and the jagged, powerful peaks reaching for the sky.
Music Academy International is located in Primiero, the heart of the Dolomites. With historic Mezzano at the entrance, reaching up to the unmistakable panorama of the Pale di San Martino, the Coral Reef of the Dolomites, the region boasts a long and rich tourist tradition. Activities abound in the Dolomites. Whether you enjoy music, amazing food and wine, or outdoor sporting activities there is always something to do in the Dolomites.
Useful links for the Dolomites:
Music Academy International proudly acknowledges the support of our partners in Italy: